Sources of Food Ingredients: Carob Bean Gum
Carob Bean Gum
- What is carob bean gum?
Carob bean gum, also known as locust bean gum, is a hydrocolloid used in food as a thickener, stabilizer and emulsifier. Carob bean gum is the ground endosperm of the seeds of the carob tree.
- How is carob bean gum made?
Carob bean gum is made using the kernels from the carob tree. The kernels are coarsely ground to help separate the seed from the pulp. The seeds have their skins removed by an acid treatment, then split, and are gently milled. The brittle germ and endosperm are separated by sieving. The endosperm can be milled to produce carob bean powder.
- Why is carob bean gum in my food?
Carob bean gum is used as a stabilizer, thickener, and fat replacer in foods, and also as an adjunct gelling agent and texturizer to other hydrocolloids such as carrageenan.
- What foods and beverages contain carob bean gum?
Carob bean gum is used in dairy desserts, ice cream, fruit preparations, baked goods, cream cheese, dressings and sauces, fish products, fermented milk products, cream, and infant formula.
- Is carob bean gum permitted for use in the U.S. and in other countries?
Carob bean gum is considered Generally Recognized as Safe, or GRAS, in the United States.
Carob bean gum is permitted as a food additive in the European Union in accordance with Annex II and Annex III to Regulation (EC) 1333/2008 on food additives. It is also used in other countries such as Australia and Japan.
- Can carob bean gum be used in foods marketed as organic, vegetarian, halal or kosher?
Carob bean gum can be used in foods labelled organic in the United States. Carob bean gum is derived from plants and can be used in vegetarian products. Carob bean gum can be certified kosher and halal which can then be use in kosher and halal foods.
- How does carob bean gum benefit my health?
Carob bean gum is an approved dietary fiber in the U.S.
- Why is carob bean gum necessary in foods and beverages?
Carob bean gum is necessary in foods and beverages because it acts as a food thickener and stabilizer. It allows food products to have a longer shelf life, is high in fiber, contains antioxidants, is caffeine free, gluten-free, and has low amounts of fat and sugar.
- How does the production and use of carob bean gum impact the environment?
Carob trees can survive in dry soil conditions and might in fact be good for preventing droughts and desertification.
- How does carob bean gum make food more affordable?
Carob bean gum acts as a stabilizer and emulsifier, causing foods to have a longer shelf life and prevent food waste.
- Does carob bean gum contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?
Carob bean gum is a food additive and is made without use of GMOs.
- Is carob bean gum safe for children?
Foods containing carob bean gum are safe for all population groups, including children and pregnant women.
- How long has carob bean gum bean used in food?
The use of carob bean gum in foods dates back to 4000 B.C.